Windows 2000 and later including Windows XP & Windows 2003 supports Remote Registry access using Remote Registry service. This allows a remote user or a remote administrator to connect to the PC or server systems registry remotely and view or modify it. While this is ideally a feature for Remote Administrator or Management Applications to efficiently manage systems without having to manally logging onto the system, this can be a potential security risk.
In simple terms, if this service is not used for any management purpose then needs to be disabled.
Incoming search terms:
- remote registry (63)
- disable remote registry windows 7 (59)
- disable remote registry (46)
- windows remote registry (41)
- disable remote registry access (34)
- how to disable network access to registry in windows xp (26)
- how to disable remote registry (24)
- remoteregistry (24)
- Remote registry access (23)
- disable network access to registry (22)