A key security feature of the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista, Encrypting File System is useful for user-level file and folder encryption. For example, if two users are sharing a computer, an administrator can use Encrypting File System to encrypt each user’s data to make it unavailable to the other user. For network file and folder encryption, Windows Vista enhances Encrypting File System management by enabling administrators to store Encrypting File System keys on smart cards.
IT administrators can use Group Policy in Windows Vista to block the use of removable storage devices, such as USB flash drives and external hard disks, to help prevent the compromise or theft of corporate intellectual property and sensitive data.
You can encrypt a file using the steps listed below. An important point to remember is that a file can not be both encrypted and compressed. If compression is enabled, it will be disable when encryption is enabled.
Double click the Computer icon on your desktop and locate the file or folder you want to encrypt.In this example we are going to encrypt “Ruchi” folder
Right click the file and select Properties.
From the General tab, click the Advanced button.
Select the Encrypt contents to secure data option.
Click OK to close the file’s properties dialog box.
Once you complete these steps, the contents of the file are encrypted. When you access the file, the contents are automatically decrypted. You can disable encryption on a file by completing the steps outlined above and removing the check beside the Encrypt contents to secure data option.
Incoming search terms:
- efs this mashin is disabled for file encription (2)
- encrypt files parameter is incorrect (2)
- efs parameter is incorrect (1)
- encrypting file system the parameter is incorrect (1)
- encrypting file system windows vista asking me to insert a smart card (1)
- parameter is incorrect windows 7 encryption (1)
- The parameter is incorrect EFS (1)
- turn off vista encrypting file system (1)
- when to encrypt document it says parameter is incorrect (1)