The ZipInstaller utility installs and uninstalls applications and utilities that do not provide an internal installation program. It automatically extracts all files from the Zip file, copies them to the destination folder you select, creates shortcuts in the start menu and in your desktop, and adds an uninstall module to allow you to automatically remove the software in the future.
This utility is a small standalone executable. You don’t have to install it, and it doesn’t require any additional DLLs. Simply run the executable (zipinst.exe) and start using it.
In the first dialog you get immediately after you run this utility, you have to select the Zip filename that contains the software you want to install. After you select the desired Zip file and press the continue button, ZipInstaller analyzes the Zip file:
- If it finds an internal installer inside the Zip file (setup.exe or install.exe) it’ll ask you if you want to run the installer software.
- For each executable (.EXE file) in the Zip file, ZipInstaller inspects the version resource information (company name, product name) in order to use it during the installation process.
After the analysis process is finished, the next dialog-box is appeared. The product information (company, product name, version) is displayed on the screen if it’s found inside the Zip file during the analysis process.
Before you start to install, you can change the following installation options:
- Destination Folder: ZipInstaller will copy all program files to this folder. You can select one of the default folders from the combo-box, or select any other folder by clicking the ‘Browse’ button.
- Install for: This option is available only under Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. If you choose to install for the current logged on user (the default option), the shortcuts to the installed software will be added only to the desktop and the start menu of the current logged on user. If you choose to install for all users, the shortcuts will be added to the desktop and start menu of all users.
- Add shortcuts to the programs folder: If this options is checked, a folders containing essential shortcuts will be added to the programs folder under the start menu. You can select one of the default folder names or type any other folder name you want.
In this programs folder, ZipInstaller automatically adds shortcuts to the following files:
- Executable files (*.exe)
- Help file (*.chm, *.hlp)
- readme file (readme.txt, readme.htm, readme.html or readme.doc)
- manual file (manual.txt, manual.htm, manual.html or manual.doc)
- Uninstall program (If the uninstall option is selected)
- Add a shortcut to the program on the desktop: If this option is checked, a shortcut to the executable file of the installed software is added to the your desktop folder. If the Zip file contains more than one executable file, a shortcut to the program folders will be added to the desktop.
- Add uninstall module: If this option is checked, the uninstall module will be added with the installed software, and you’ll be able to automatically uninstall it in the future.
- Add uninstall shortcut under the programs folder: If this option is checked, a shortcut that runs the uninstall module will be added to the programs folder. Otherwise, the uninstall shortcut won’t be added.
- Remember the above settings for future installations: If this option is checked, the current installation settings will be saved in the Registry, and they will be used as default settings in the next time that you use ZipInstaller.
Download ZipInstaller from here