There are times when you have hundreds of thousands of values in a column in an Excel sheet or a CSV file with more than one occurence and you will need to extract a list of unique values from it. Sounds like a daunting task??? Not really, with a few clicks you can extract unique values from a column in an Excel sheet.
In Excel 2007
1. Click the Data tab and click Advanced under Sort & Filter
2. In the popup window, select “Copy to another location”.
3. Click button for “List Range” and select the column or all the rows in the column from which you want to extract unique values.NOTE: The 1st Row is considered heading and hence if you have a value in another row in the same column then this will show up twice (1st row again a heading)
4. Click button for “Copy to” and click on a cell to which you want to extract the unique values to.
5. Select “Unique records only” and click OK. This should extract unique values to the column.
In Excel 2003 & earlier version, Select Advanced filter from Data Menu item and follow the above instructions to extract unique values.
Incoming search terms:
- excel 2003 unique values (73)
- extract unique values excel (63)
- excel extract unique values (53)
- excel 2003 distinct values in a column (48)
- excel list unique values in column (46)
- excel 2010 unique values (42)
- extract unique values in excel (40)
- extracting unique values in excel (37)
- extract unique values from excel column (36)
- excel extract unique values from column (33)