This is because of the limit on the number of characters on a File Path and the Filename togethor. So, the bad news is there is no direct fix for this.
The workaround to this to organise the File and Directory structure so you end up with this error as it can be irritating which file was the culprit right in the middle of a large file transfer.
If you are copying from Network shares, you can assign drive letters to the network path and initiate file copies. This should help.
The following is the File Path + Name limit in various Windows operating system versions:
Windows Vista / Windows 7 /Windows Server 2008
Path limit is 248 characters.
Path+Filename limit is 260 characters
Windows xp /2003
Path+Filename limit is 255 characters
Path+Filename limit is 254 Characters
Incoming search terms:
- Windows 7 Character Limit (10)
- windows server 2008 file path limitations (10)
- windows server 2003 file path limit (4)
- windows file path limit (4)
- character limit windows 7 (4)
- 254 character limit windows 7 (4)
- character limitation in windows server 2008 (3)
- Windows 7 File Path Character Limit (3)
- windows 7 file name limit (3)
- Windows 7 file name character limit (3)