The Windows Server 2003 operating system supports multi-master replication—all of a domain’s domain controllers can receive changes made to objects and can replicate those changes to all other domain controllers in that domain. By default, the first domain controller created in a forest is a global catalog server, which contains a full replica of all objects in the directory for its domain and a partial replica of all objects stored in the directory of every other domain in the forest.
Replicating Active Directory data among domain controllers provides benefits for information availability, fault tolerance, load balancing, and performance. In this step-by-step guide, you can take advantage of the greater fault tolerance provided in the multi-master model by installing multiple domain controllers. In the event a domain controller stops working, the availability of Active Directory is not compromised.
If you want to create an additional domain controller in win server 2003 follow this procedure
Note:-Before doing this procedure you need to make sure you have domain controller setup in your win server 2003 with DNS and you need to install DNS server and don’t configure anything where you are going to add an additional domain controller.
- Click Start, click Run, and then type dcpromo click ok
- If you want to open the Active Directory Installation Wizard with the option to create an additional domain controller from restored backup files.
- On the Operating System Compatibility page, read the information and then click Next.
If this is the first time you have installed Active Directory on a server running Windows Server 2003, click Compatibility Help for more information.
- On the Domain Controller Type page, click Additional domain controller for an existing domain, and then click Next.
- On the Copying Domain Information page, do one of the following:
•Click Over the network, and then click Next.
•Click From these restored backup files, and type the location of the restored backup files, or click Browse to locate the restored files, and then click Next.
- On the Network Credentials page, type the user name, password, and user domain of the user account you want to use for this operation, and then click Next.
The user account must be a member of the Domain Admins group for the target domain.
- On the Database and Log Folders page, type the location in which you want to install the database and log folders, or click Browse to choose a location, and then click Next.
- On the Shared System Volume page, type the location in which you want to install the Sysvol folder, or click Browse to choose a location, and then click Next.
- On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, type and confirm the password that you want to assign to the Administrator account for this server, and then click Next.
- Use this password when starting the computer in Directory Services Restore Mode.
- Review the Summary page, and then click Next to begin the installation.
- Restart your server now.
Incoming search terms:
- how to create adc in windows 2003 server (69)
- how to configure adc in windows 2003 server (48)
- additional domain controller for an existing domain 2003 (48)
- how to configure additional domain controller in windows 2003 (32)
- how to create adc in windows 2003 (31)
- how to create additional domain controller (adc) in windows server 2003 (30)
- how to install additional domain controller in windows 2003 (29)
- how to create additional domain controller in windows 2003 step by step (25)
- how to load balance domain controllers dhcp and dns (23)
- how to create additional domain controller (21)