If you have installed your Windows Server 2008 from a recent media download or shipped by microsoft then chances are that you already have the Hyper-V Role installed on your system but not enabled yet.
To confirm this, click Start – Control Panel – Programs and Features – Installed Updates and look for “Update for Microsoft Windows (KB950050)”. If not found, click here to download and install the update.
Once installed, reboot your server and add the Hyper-V role as follows:
1. Click Start – Administrative Tools – Server Manager.
2. Click Roles in the leftpane and click “Add Roles” from the rightpane.
3. Click Next in the before begin window. Select “Hyper-V” role from the list in the Server Roles window and click Next.
4. Click Next on the Hyper-V introduction window. In the next “Virtual Networks” window, select the Network Adapters to which a Virtual Network will be created. For every, Network Adapter (if more than 1 is found) selected, a Virtual Network will be created to which Virtual Machines created later can be attached to. The Virtual Networks can also be created or modified at a later time.
5. Click Install on the confirmation window. Once the role is successfully added, the server requires a reboot. Click the “You
must restart this server to finish the installation process
must restart this server to finish the installation process” link in the results window to reboot the server or click Close and restart the server at a later time.
6. Once the server is restarted, the server continues configuring the Hyper-V role and when the installation is successfully completed, click Close.
7. This puts the Virtual Network created under “Network Connections” and the Hyper-V Manager under Administrative Tools. Click and launch the Hyper-V Manager under Administrative Tools.
From here you can create and modify the Virtual Machines, edit the Virtual Network Settings, general Hyper-V Settings, import Virtual Machines etc. One can also, stop and start Hyper-V services and check Virtual Disks.
Click here for a procedure to install and configure Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 Core installation.
Incoming search terms:
- how to enable hyper v in windows 2008 (19)
- how to enable hypervisor in windows 2008 (18)
- enable hyper-V (15)
- add hyper v to server 2008 (12)
- Enable Hyper-V Windows 2008 (6)
- enable hypervisor server 2008 (5)
- Windows Server 2008 cheap (4)
- how to enable hyper v in server 2008 (3)
- enable hyper v windows 2008 (3)
- WINDOWS SERVER 2008 enable HYPER-V (3)