Whenever you try to run .AVI,video or media files you may receive the following error
COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working Error
This problem is caused because of codecs and other COM components installed by various softwares that aren’t fully Vista-compatible, like some versions of DivX or Nero.
There are number of possible solutions for this problem try which one is suits for you
If you are using DivX, you should be upgraded to the very latest version (6.8)
If you are using Nero, you can try upgrading to the latest version (8.0)
It’s not a problem with Vista, but with the Nero MSI package. When a minimal install is done, it part installs the codecs, which causes the errors you’re seeing when the Nero trying to thumbnail video clips.
if you have NERO please rename NeVideo.ax in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\to 1NeVideo.ax or anything else.
also rename the file called NeroVideoProc.ax
If you’ve upgraded Nero and Divx and still have the problem, you can try renaming the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax to NeVideo.ax.bak. You may also need to rename NeVideoHD.ax to NeVideoHD.bak This will break Nero Showtime.
If you are using older ffdshow codec pack has been known to cause some problems for this you can download and install latest package from here
1. Right click on Computer, and choose Properties Right click on Computer, and choose Properties
2. Click on Advanced System Settings, and then under Advanced, click Settings\
3. Select the “Data Execution Protection” tab, and then click “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”
4. Click on the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe as shown
5. Click Open, and then OK.
For those running AVANT Browser and who apply the DEP fix for this by adding dllhost.exe to the DEP listing!!!
This will cause Avant Browser, and possibly other browsers and programs to also Stop Working!
Workaround (Tested) – Add Avant Browser EXE to the same DEP list, and in the same manner as you added dllhost.exe, and it will work again. Same goes for any other programs that may stop working right after applying this COMM Surrogate fix.
Incoming search terms:
- com surrogate has stopped working (48)
- com surrogate has stopped working vista (14)
- comm surrogate (11)
- com surrogate has stopped working windows 7 (9)
- com surrogate has stopped working windows 8 (8)
- www windowsreference com fix-for-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working-error-in-vista (8)
- com surrogate stopped working (8)
- windows com surrogate has stopped working (7)
- com surrogate has stopped working windows server 2008 (6)
- com surrogate windows server 2008 (6)