When you try to connect to server by fully qualified domain name (FQDN) which resides in top level domain (TLD) that has a purely numeric suffix, connection is failed. If server is domain controller issue also affects establishing trusts and domain joins.
When you try to PING server by FQDN you receive the following error message:
Ping request could not find host “FQDN of server”. Please check the name and try again.
Connection to the server by IP or by NetBIOS name is succeeding.When this issue occurs, all Domain Name System (DNS) records are correctly returned by NSLOOKUP. Therefore, DNS is fully functional and is not part of this issue.
By default DNS client service rejects resolution of DNS records in top level domain (TLD) that has a purely numeric suffix.
Procedure to Follow
To resolve this problem, add the ScreenBadTlds registry entry and restart DNS client service. Adding this registry entry prevents the DNS client service from performing the test to determine whether the top level domain is supported.
To add this registry entry and restart DNS client service, follow these steps.
1. Click Start, and then click Run, type regedit in Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type ScreenBadTlds, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click ScreenBadTlds, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. Exit Registry Editor.
8. Stop and then start the DNS client service. To do so:
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
c. At the command prompt, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line
net stop DNScache
net start DNScache
d. Type exit to quit Command Prompt.
Incoming search terms:
- ping request could not find host (1103)
- ping request could not find host please check the name and try again (275)
- ping request could not find host windows 7 (268)
- ping request cannot find host (146)
- ping could not find host (89)
- ping request could not find host google com (62)
- ping request cannot find host windows 7 (47)
- could not find host (45)
- ping request could not find host www google com (38)
- ping request could not find the host (37)