After you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), you may experience one or more of the following problems with sound:
• No sound is produced when you play audio files or run programs that have an audio component.
• The speaker symbol next to the clock in the notification area may display the following message:
No Audio Output Device is installed
• The Sound Controller in Device Manager displays a yellow exclamation point
Verify that the default output device is set correctly
After you install Windows Vista SP1, you may find that the default output device, also known as the playback device, has changed.
To set the default device, follow these steps
- Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box, and then click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
- Click the Playback tab. A check mark is displayed next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers.
- Click the item that you want to set as the default device, and then click Set Default.
- Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.
Reload the current sound driver
To do this, follow these steps
- Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Locate the audio device that was included with the computer.
- Right-click the device, and then click Properties.
- Click the Driver tab.
- Click Uninstall.
- Make sure that the Delete the Driver Software for this device check box is cleared, and then click OK.
- In the Device Manager dialog box, click the Action menu, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
You should see a message that a hardware device is being installed. Additionally, the uninstalled audio device is now present in Device Manager.
- Close the Device Manager dialog box, and then determine whether you can hear sound.
Incoming search terms:
- windows vista no sound (15)
- vista no sound (13)
- no sound vista (10)
- no sound windows vista (10)
- no sound in vista (7)
- vista sp1 no sound (7)
- www windowsreference com fix-for-sound-missing-or-no-sound-after-vista-sp1-install (7)
- no sound troubleshooting and fix (6)
- vista audio fix (5)
- no sound in windows vista (5)