Windows NT Backup – Restore Utility is a free utility from Microsoft used to restore older format of backups made on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 by using the default “Windows NT Backup” built into the previous Windows operating system, to computers running Windows Vista and Windows Server Codename “Longhorn”. Windows NT Backup utility in Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server has been replaced in Windows Vista or Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” with different applications, no longer exists, and the new backup programs are not compatible with the .bkf files that NT Backup created.
Windows NT Backup – Restore Utility must be used on Windows Vista or Windows Longhorn Server. Beside, you must also enable, turn on or install the Removable Storage Manager feature. If Removable Storage Manager is not present or disabled, you may get a NTSMAPI.dll error.
To turn on Removable Storage Management in Windows Vista follow this procedure
- Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows Features on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Select the check box next to Removable Storage Management to turn the feature on, and then click OK.
To install Removable Storage Management on Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” follow this procedure
- Click Control Panel and then click Administrative Tools.
- Open Server Manager, navigate to the Features Summary section, and click Add features.
- Select the check box next to Removable Storage Manager, click Next, and then click Install.
Download 32-bit or 64-bit editions of Windows NT Backup – Restore Utility from here
After installing the program, the NT Backup Restore Utility can be found inside program group called Windows NT Backup – Restore Utility under Start Menu.