In Windows Vista, the Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer’s hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.
There are scores namely, Base Score and Subscores where Base score defines the overall performance level of the computer and its capability to run applications. The Subscores are scores of individual hardware components like Processors, RAM, Graphics, gaming Grpahics and Primary Hard Disk where Windows is installed.
The Base Score is determined by the lowest of your subscrores. The base scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. For instance, on my PC, the base score is 3.5 which is due to Graphics & Gaming Graphics. This may well mean that my computer can run Windows Aero comfortably but might struggle with multiple monitor configurations and HDTV playbacks.
While this doesn’t warrant a perfect measure of performance on your PC or Laptop but can certainly be a good place to start with.
To view the Windows Experience Index on your PC or laptop,
Click Start – Control Panel – System maintenance – Performance Information and Tools. This should show the scores for your system.
Incoming search terms:
- What feature of Vista allows you to measure the capability of your computer\s hardware and software configuration and express this measurement as a number called a base score? (13)
- windows experience index 3 5 (13)
- windows index experience (10)
- windows experience index (4)
- what feature of vista allows you to measure the capability of your computer\s hardware and software configuration and express this measurement as a number called a base score (4)
- good windows experience index (2)
- what feature of vista allows you to measure the capability (2)
- system windows experience (2)
- which of the following windows 7 features allows you to measure the capability of your computer\s hardware and software configuration which is expressed as a number called a base score? (2)
- Windows Experience Index Windows 8 recommended computer performance (1)