Windows XP uses a new streamlined method of sharing files, called ‘simple file sharing,’ by default. This method is similar to the system used with Windows 9x/ME in that it does not check user credentials before allowing access to the share. The only option you can specify is whether remote users have the ability to change the share by adding editing or deleting files.
If you desire more security for your shares, you can revert to the higher security method of sharing files used in Windows 2000. This allows you to specify whether individual users on your system are allowed to access each share, and whether they can change the shared data or only read and copy it.
Double click on ‘My computer.’ Select ‘tools’ from the menu and click ‘folder options.
Click on ‘view’ tab. Find and uncheck the ‘use simple file sharing’ box. Click ‘ok’.
Incoming search terms:
- Use Simple File Sharing (2)
- how to disable simple file sharing in windows server 2008 (2)
- batch file for disable simple file sharing remotely (1)
- use simple file sharing windows server 2008 (1)
- turning of simple file sharing in server 2003 (1)
- simple file sharing windows xp disable via batch file (1)
- simple file sharing windows 2008 (1)
- how to enable simple file sharing permanently in windows xp (1)
- how to disable simple sharing in windows 8 (1)
- how to disable simple file sharing xp sp3 (1)